Earth Festival Vs Mango Beach

Is it too late to make New Year Resolutions? I know you’re thinking, somewhere in the lines of “better late than never.” Right? Well, I’ll take your advice!

My Resolution
This year I’m planning my New Year celebration somewhere cool in perspective, but hot in climate. This year, I’m going somewhere where I can sit under a shade with barely anything on (and not be judged for it), pondering about my accomplishments, failures and-so- ons, and hopefully at this place I can manage to spend some quality time with some QUALITY people weather it be strangers, new friends, or old friends. But most importantly after I leave this place, I hope I don’t have to hear about it OVER and OVER again.

If you’re anything like most of the people I know, when the New Year celebration period kicks in, you’re making plans with your homies, buying a ridiculous amount of alcohol, maybe some groceries, some skimpy get-ups, a fresh pair of sunglasses, and a-whole-lotta that stuff we cant say. Wry?


 


There I was on 28th day of the last month of 2010 with two friends headed to Tofo, Inhambane. An exotic beach off the coast of Mozambique, 6 hours away from Maputo.
We drove away, safely, into what was to become the most highly anticipated New Years Eve celebration.
There had been a huge build-up to this date, at first it was a competition between who was going to Ponta D’ouro versus who was going Tofo.
Since my decisions do not depend on popularity votes, I had already decided the year before that I was coming back to Tofo regardless.


In Tofo there were two main spots for night time wondering. Fatima’s Nest, a backpackers right at the heart of Tofo beach with an ambiance so pleasingly welcoming, it felt like I was given a big bear hug and not to mention the seafront view that is to die for. The other place, Mango Beach, a 20 minute drive from the Tofo central market, a lodge surrounded by a sea of Palm trees with a splendid view of the sea so exclusively designed you’d think I’m tripping.

Fatima’s nest was hosted by Sekuela Eventos , a well reputed event managing company run by a team of young group of Mozambicans. The Tofo Earth Festival, as it was known, began on the 28th and went on until the 1st of January.



Throughout the festival there were performances by some of my favorite bands and musicians like Gran’Mah, Ras Haitrm, Azagaia, YPG, Formigas a Flutuar, Mona, 340ml and other groups who's show I didnt catch. During the day, if you managed to get up, there were beach volleyball tournaments (fun!) and a variety of stands for you to hunt down those souvenirs, I saw Woogui there, and of course the MOZTYLE stand was the coolest spot.


But to be honest, I was expecting a bit more than just volleyball, they already had a net going there, so why not throw in a lil badminton tournament? How hard could it be to get a lil ultimate Frisbee going? C’mon!
I mean, with a name like “The Tofo Earth Festival” Sekuela had a lot to play with.
I didnt feel like the concept was being pushed enough.
I didn’t get that…




 
Posted by Picasa


When it finally got to the point where I could no longer stand running into EVERYBODY I knew at Fatima’s, I took the 20 minute 4x4 drive to Mango Beach, To a party that was being organized by YO!,Tchucks, ET Productions where the DJ (James Booka) never stopped until the people said so.
Funnily enough the word in town was that Mango was for the “druggies” and that everyone that was there was on drugs and high and what not…well, everyone that wasn’t there was also stoned outta their minds. What is this, High School? …
I simply enjoyed my time at Mango Beach because there seemed to be a filtering of people, don’t get me wrong, I love being around people and I hate the whole secluding people what not, but…sometimes, less is more. And this time…more is what everybody was asking for.



















Between Fatima’s and Mango, I couldn’t tell you where I enjoyed my time most…but if I had to, I would say… I had the most fun at the beach. Just being there and feeling like no one else ever felt what I was feeling at the very moment. Magical. Being swollen up by the beautiful champagne like waves, and looking and the blue blue blue water that goes on infinitely until it meets the sky, sinking my toes into that white sand and feeling lost eternally…yes, that was my favorite party.


I met a lot of wonderful people that made this trip one for the books.
I can’t stress enough how important it is for you to choose your company wisely. I saw a lot of groups of people who argued and fought and ended up being stranded and alone. I heard a lot of people complaining about “the people” at fatima’s, about how the ambiance wasn’t right and how it was too packed etc…Sometimes it’s not about the people, it’s about you. YOU make your own party, it’s essential to have a good attitude. The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. The amazing thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will have for that day. We can’t change our past... we can’t change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. And so it is with you... we are in charge/control of our Attitudes.
2010 flew by, yet left me with some fond memories. Some that ended well while others "just ended." Time will be the tell-all if you just let it.
And so here it is… I wish you plenty of ATTITUDE for 2011.

Oh so, what did youuuu do for New Years?























Comments

Popular Posts