Growing up?


Mobolaji Dawodu

I have been actively trying not to grow up for the past 20 years. Thats not to say I don't take my responsibilities seriously, because I do, but I still feel I am at a good point between maturity, and immaturity. I guess part of me fears that if I grow up, I will lose interest in the handful of things that bring me so much joy.
There is another part of me, deep inside my brain, that feels that maybe, if I lose my youth, I will lose touch with my sense of humor and compassion.

All of this aside, natural progression of young adulthood in our society molds you into a certain category like it or not. That doesn't really bother me that much. I don't really try to change the things I do, unless I know that it has a definite negative effect on me.

All in all, I guess growing up isn't such a bad thing. We (my boyfriend and I) went to a cookout at a friend’s house a couple of weeks ago and it was mostly couples that we have been friends with before they were couples. They either had kids, had kids on the way, or were on their way to being on their way in a few years. You know the one. It was different, it wasn't like it used to be when was in high school, I would bring a pack of hotdogs and someone would manage to bring some beers, we would all get stupidly drunk, make prank phone calls, and… act like kids.

Agh! Why must we grow old.

Comments

Popular Posts