Books to Read




Despite not having the time to do any recreational reading because of sucky work and work-after-work, the "to-read" stacks in my room magically multiply two-fold every couple of weeks. Whenever I see another book that catches my interest, I take a picture and keep it in my camera as part of an ever-growing visual booklist.

Last week sometime, I dropped off at my friend’s house to catch up and exchange some books.

…an e-mail I received from Manuel a few hours before my visit


____________________________________________________________________________
From: Manuel [mailto:m******@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:54 PM
To: Katawala
Subject: Mr Bones

Ola
I know that i may be going on a bit but i swear it’s only to you.
You have got to read Timbuktu. Everyone (even though I’m only going on about it to you) should read Timbuktu but I am certain that you in particular HAVE to read IT. It is mind blowing and as i read it i often thought of you in the sense of how much you will enjoy reading it.
If i were to vote the best 10 books i have ever read, Timbuktu will be in the top 3 fighting for top spot with amongst others, The World According to Garp.
If you don't come by later I’ll drop it off at your office tomorrow.

( I now take this book with me to work and read it every chance I get to)
__________________________________________________________________________________

I did drop by, and to his surprise, I brought with me “The World According to Garp”. I’ve never see anyone so content to receive a book he had already read.
He also loaned "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", that one is next on my list.







an e-mail from him the day after...
____________________________________________________________________________________
From: Manuel [mailto:m*****@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 9:03 AM
To: Katawala
Subject: All the books

Oi

So the loan of World According to Garp has sparked off a bunch of other stories to re-read

John Irving - Setting Free the Bears. This is the one i told you about when 2 friends head for the Vienna zoo to free the animals.
and also The Water Method Man about a guy who has a problem peeing. Irving wrote these things when he was 25 years old. Fuck!

And others like Kurt Vonnegut who was a lot more than just a novelist. Check him out.
From him I’ve read a bunch of books like
Slaughter House FiveBreakfast of Champions
Welcome to the Monkey House (short stories)
Slapstick, Or Lonesome No More
Deadeye Dick

Think I’ll just content myself with Garp for the next few days.
Thank you.
___________________________________________________________________________________


You're more than welcome my friend!

Comments

Popular Posts